The Texas Longhorns defeated Wyoming on Saturday night 31-10 in a game at Darrell K Royal – Texas Memorial Stadium.
The Longhorn win pushed Texas' record to 3-0 for the first time since 2012, when Texas opened the season 4-0.
- Bert Auburn's 22nd career made field goal attempt — a 37-yarder with 9:46 remaining in the first quarter — not only broke a tie for fourth play on the program's all-time list but also got the Longhorns on the scoreboard Saturday night.
- Texas took its first lead of the contest on a 1-yard toss from sophomore quarterback Quinn Ewers to junior defensive lineman Byron Murphy II to cap a 17-play, 90-yard drive that spanned 8:03, marking the longest — number of plays, yardage consumed and time elapsed— scoring drive for the Longhorns this season.
- The Longhorns responded from Wyoming's touchdown run on its first offensive series of the night by scoring 10 unanswered throughout the first and second quarters to make a 10-7 lead into halftime, marking the third consecutive game — all during the 2023 campaign — Texas has held the advantage on the scoreboard at intermission.
- Thanks in large part to a first-half seven tackles from defensive back Jahdae Barron, the Longhorn defense answered back from the Cowboys' game-opening 75-yard touchdown drive by holding the Wyoming offense to just 88 additional yards on 27 plays, a 3.3 yards-per-play mark. During that stretch, Barron registered three key third down stops — a pass break up and two tackles — to help force five consecutive punts.
- With his 44-yard touchdown pass to Xavier Worthy — his 23rd career scoring reception and sixth of 40-or-more yards — just three plays into the fourth quarter to push Texas back in front, sophomore quarterback Quinn Ewers has now tossed multiple touchdowns in all three games of the 2023 season.
- During Texas' two touchdown drives during the fourth quarter, sophomore running back Jonathon Brooks rushed for 107 yards of his career-high 164 yards. Brooks entered Saturday night's game with a single-game career high in rushing yards of 108.
- Texas sophomore quarterback Quinn Ewers marked his second career collegiate football game with at least one passing and one rushing touchdown when the Southlake native capped a six-play, 75-yard drive with a 5-yard run with nine minutes left in the fourth quarter.
- For the second consecutive week, Jerrin Thompson picked off an opposing quarterback after the Longhorn senior defensive back jumped an out route and returned an Evan Svoboda pass attempt 27 yards for his first career interception return for a touchdown to extend Texas' lead to three touchdowns midway through the fourth quarter.
Having now completed the non-conference portion of its 2023 regular season, Texas (3-0) will enter Big 12 Conference play next weekend when the Longhorns travel to Waco to play Baylor (1-2) at 6:30 p.m. on Saturday, Sept. 23.